PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow S76 Ditched in Nigeria today Feb 3 2016
Old 17th Feb 2016, 02:45
gulliBell

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I fail to understand how crew decision making in this accident may have been influenced by the previous accident.

Unless I'm mistaken, the crew of the 5N-BGD accident had no prior indication of anything wrong. They were just flying along in the cruise and instantly the helicopter went wildly out of control and 12 seconds later crashed. The investigators quickly worked out what caused the crash, and the servo input control rods of every S76 world wide were inspected to make sure they were as they should be.

This time around the crew had symptoms to give them some clues as to possible causes, plenty of time to think about it and take action, and a helicopter that was flying under control, all-be-it with some AFCS induced yaw twitching (from what we understand). I would have thought the crew would have been comforted by the knowledge that the aircraft had been thoroughly examined and what caused the last crash was unlikely to be playing out again (because the symptoms were different and the inspections had been done).

Dunno. Again, we shall wait.

Last edited by gulliBell; 17th Feb 2016 at 03:47. Reason: spelling