PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lower back pain and Class 1 medicals
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2016, 01:48
Black Sheep One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another take on back pain/herniated discs

I realise this is quite a bit after 'the event', but for those of you interested who have lower back pain, a herniated disc, RSI, tendonitis etc, then take a look at Dr Sarno's work on Healing Back Pain.

I used to fly Fast Jets and soon after my last FJ tour I had surgery on 2 lower back discs around the L5 region. I really thought this would cure my pain, but sadly it did not. Years later (and after a re-herniation of one of the discs) I was once again in pain and was contemplating surgery once more. Doing my research I stumbled upon Dr Sarno's work and decided to read his book. Well, within a week my pain had subsided by 50%, and within a month I was pretty much pain-free. This is not a mind-over-matter issue, but it looks at what the actual cause of the pain is...essentially, a 'bulge' pressing on a nerve doesn't necessarily cause the pain. It does cause some numbness and tingling, but not the pain.

So, here I am another couple of years down the line and I have a very acute episode of sciatica that causes me to call an ambulance and go to emergency. I discharged myself after a few hours once the pain had subsided, and decided to re-visit the Sarno book, despite an MRI showing a massive herniation at the L5/S1 level. After a week, I see a spinal surgeon who is amazed at my recovery, and decides that as long as I'm not in pain there is no need for surgery. I'm now pain-free, off medication a month after the sciatica flared up, and only have some low-level weakness that I am working on with the help of Dr Sarno's methods.

Long story, but worth it if just one person takes a look at the book/Youtube videos/podcasts regarding Tension Myositis Syndrome (TMS). All of this is free online, and could help you get rid of that pain whilst awaiting your MRI...

Good luck!