PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SYD to KNX
Thread: SYD to KNX
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2016, 01:10
Possum1

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Good thinking, AlexWCD. Obviously, if you are buying a Pajero or Landcruiser, you are going off the bitumen at some stage if not on your initial trip to Kununurra and will need a lot of what I and others have mentioned in the previous posts.

Proper tools will last a lifetime and buying some for your 4WDing now will not be a waste of money.

I did have a flat battery in the Tanami Desert, while checking a creek for depth on my return trip from Wolf Creek meteorite crater and had to camp there for the night - lovely spot under the stars as it turned out. Car wouldn't start and I had no room between it and the creek to clutch start it. 6-7 hours later at about 11.00 p.m. the first car came along, a landcruiser from one of the distant properties in the desert, and kindly towed me up to the top of the hill so I could clutch start it in the morning(I certainly was not going to attempt a flooded creek crossing in the dark with a flat battery!). Back in Hall's Creek, by mid-morning the following day, I bought and had fitted a new battery from a bloke who had batteries by the pallet load stacked from floor to ceiling in his shed. He was doing a roaring trade in selling them to people from the city, whose batteries had just given out.

So, even if you are not leaving the bitumen, a new battery and a few basic spares from your local Repco in Sydney would be a good idea.

I fail to see how an emergency windscreen would be needed in this day and age. While I also did need to use an emergency windscreen at Winton in 1981, this was back when laminated windscreens were only an option and cars still had toughened glass as standard equipment which exploded into tiny fragments when hit by a pebble with your name on it. A laminated windscreen will stay in place after even a big hit. Despite the cracks and bullseyes, you will be able to see through it and if necessary hold it in place if it starts to sag a bit.