PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Designing a very, very large airliner…
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2016, 00:37
medviation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did a simple wingflex model to see how the wing would flex. I saw several issues with the bending motion especially on the wing brace that joins the two wings. Constant and extreme bending and twisting of the brace could lead to eventual failure of the wing structure if made of conventional aluminum or composite materials and structure.

Having a background in architecture, I know of a technology used for earthquake-proofing buildings that could be applied here. This plastic/rubber bearing isolates the building from the foundation so when an earthquake occurs, the building can just dance around and not crack.

A similar setup can be used to isolate the wingtip brace from the rest of the wings. This should allow the two wings to twist and bend without having to put too much pressure on the wingtip. This could be engineered to still have a certain amount of resistance so the two wings can still share loads.

Another area I might put in question is how this could react in flutter. Perhaps the two wings could be designed to oscillate in a different frequency to dampen out potentially dangerous vibrations?