PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2016, 16:58
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Robbies Head

As alluded to earlier 'Robbies Head' was a feature made down near the rocks. I suspect some of him was robbed to make a 400ft mark at the 'Rocks end'.
Now we have some 'Haleslandite's' on thread does anyone know if any flights were made to Weston from there, or any aero tows 'in' to the site to position aircraft.
On one 'very non gliding day' i was killing time down at Weston where the windsock was stuck out like a carrot at 90 degrees to the single wet runway.
I was then somewhat surprised to hear the roar of a couple of large radial engines followed by the sideways view of a Varsity on finals appearing out of the gloom (i mean sideways).To say this looked spectacular (i still remember it) as the beast stayed sideways until a few feet before a late kick off and spike on followed by more noise and lots of spray.
It was the only powered machine i ever saw there in my ATC visits.
Years later i needed an early morning 'fuel stop' for my non radio Turbulent and duly popped in after a phone call the prev day. The Air Traffic 'hut' was perched on stilts (stiil there) and had started life as the Taxi rank booking office from WSM sea front. This is near the Helicopter museum and i believe they are trying to 'list and preserve it'.