PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thrust during descents with throttles at idle
Old 27th Sep 2000, 10:43
jtr

Stamatis, I am just saying there is four modes of idle, flight, approach, ground, and reverse.

The 340 burns 1250-1500 kg/hr on the ground w/o APU running. (i.e. not taxiing)

In a 30 minute idle from 410, (not including appch. man.) it will burn 1000kg = 2000 kg/hr

When you consider the added demand of the pressurisation from 410 to approach point, my guesstimation is that the two (ground idle and flight idle) are pretty similar modes, with the only exception being that `flight` idle has the function of becoming approach idle when the appropriate config is set.

With regard to the high idle RPM at altitude, I would think this is due to the compressibility of the air at alt. If you took two engines, pumped in exactly the same idle fuel kg/hr, and put one static at sea level, and one at FL350 static, which one would spin faster? Why?

In answer to your initial post Stamatis, if your definition of negative thrust, is `less thrust than a windmilling engine` then no I do not think this is the case.

If your defn. is less thrust than the drag it produces, the I do think this is the case.

<phew> wipes brow...
Any more of this and I am going to have to find my FCOM`s. I think they`re under that big pile of ammendments in the corner.

Final disclaimer: By no means am I saying this is fact, it is just my opinion, and please treat it as such. Hell, I can`t even spell engenear.

[This message has been edited by jtr (edited 27 September 2000).]