PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fairey Firefly at Duxford
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2003, 19:10
BigGreenPleasureMachine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Point taken, NOD, and I agree that a blanket ban on aerobatics would be the wrong attitude to take, given that not all airshow accidents are a direct result of misjugded aerobatic manoevures.

You are right to point out other accidents in other phases of flight, however, if one looks at the survivability issues in the examples you quote: the Harvard and 109 were non fatal, and the Aerovodochody L39 was a survivable accident which proved fatal. The two aerobatic accidents were non-survivable.

I do not advocate a ban on aerobatics at airshows, but when very experienced pilots are being killed in perfectly servicable aircraft, I believe there must be issues that need to be addressed with respect to the envelope within which the aircraft are permitted to operate. I hope the RN BOI and AAIB can resolve these and we can all continue to see these fine aircraft on display.

With respect to exposing oneself to risk, yes we all take a chance getting out of bed in the mornings, but in the sun I wear a hat, in the car I use my seat belt. Minimising risk need not preclude the enjoyment of life.

BGPM.

PS better to look at the bulletins at [URL=http://aaib.dft.gov.uk] than the Beeb to get a proper overview of these accidents.