PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vuichard technique for settling with power?
Old 16th Feb 2016, 13:52
[email protected]

Received 655 Likes on 289 Posts
With the vuichard recovery technique you have a real chance to escape from the vrs, but you have to know the signs to identify it early enough.
If i read posts from peoples who lost 5000ft, i'm wondering what they did in the meantime?!
this is because you are talking about recovery from IVRS using the Vuichard technique - this is not the same as trying to recover from full VRS.

If you would try to escape to the left, you will need to lower the collective to apply max right pedal
Why??? If you apply full left pedal and sideslip to the right, you are taking power to provide anti-torque that could be available to the main rotor to oppose your rate of descent. If you apply right pedal and sideslip to the left, all the power is available to the main rotor. In both cases, if you try to pull too much power, you droop the Nr and begin to settle with power, just making things worse.

The sideslip in either case is a very small part - the main element of recovery being the addition of maximum power - this will counter your RoD only in the early or incipient stages of VRS - if you are in full VRS it will just make things worse.

If a proper empirical test was conducted, it is my guess that the best technique for recovery from IVRS is to put the nose forward slightly and pull max power rather than messing around with sideslip. Unless you are going vertically down - normally on approach you will have some forward speed - the quickest way to get airflow over the disc is to move forward faster.