PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND 5
Thread: SOUTHEND 5
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2016, 13:25
chesna152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asdf1234
EXPRESSFLIGHT,

If an unbiased report had been written it would maybe have started, "Despite falling passenger numbers and a lack of airlines wanting to start operations at the airport, passengers have once again voted SEN their favourite airport in the UK....". and it might have continued, "The vote is perhaps not surprising given that those passengers still using SEN have the use of a terminal capable of handling 2m pax, all to themselves; a comparative luxury when compared to the other busier airports in and around the London area".

As I said, a PR puff piece.
Nothing wrong with a good bit of PR, wether you think it is buff or not it is part of business these days and Southend should not be critisied for getting in on the act.

I believe the terminal is actually built to handle 5m pax, so on that point your argument is strengthened. However I do feel that even with an under utilised terminal it does not change the fact that Southend has one of, if not the shortest, plane to train and long stay parking distance in the UK, along with short walks to aircraft, short taxi time... Things that would remain unchanged if the terminal was handling more pax. So while your 'quiet terminal' theory holds some weight, it doesn't tell the whole story of the constant advantage of SEN's excellent facilities...all we need now is for a few more airlines to realise that!