PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet Scholarship for Women...
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2016, 12:16
Littlest Hobo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you suggesting men have less common sense haha?
I was trying to be subtle about it, at least!

Flying is similar to engineering in my point of view. Females are lacking in engineering. Anything loud, noisy, made of metal, not particularly glamorous is not going to tug at the way they are wired.
I have to disagree with that - I have an engineering degree and have worked in the oil and gas and now aviation industries, and I know plenty of women who are both technically minded and glamorous. I know many more women who have an armchair interest in cars, planes, mega structures and other "man" things, but for one reason or another were never encouraged to pursue a technical career. This starts way back at primary school age where the initial career seeds are sewn by parents and teachers, and that's where the focus should be by airlines and engineering companies who what to increase diversity in their workforce. I don't think trying to entice 18 to 20-somethings with a scholarship or loan guarantee is the answer.

Going back to what Chesty Morgan said, bit of a generalisation but most women would rather be mothers than pilots. If a career as a pilot could be balanced with family life in a similar way as a career in, for example, teaching or accountancy (or even engineering) then I'm sure more women would be stepping up to apply... if they didn't have to fork out £100k for the privilege, of course!