PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic flight from London to NY returns after pilot hurt in laser incident
Old 16th Feb 2016, 08:14
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Then consider what an aeroplane at 8,000 feet and a couple of miles distance actually looks like to a ground-based observer. Mostly it's a blob - a grey/black silhouette. How would said observer know that his/her l@ser was even HITTING the aeroplane, let alone the cockpit window? The l@ser target designators which you reference in support of your point have telescopic optics for this, without which (I suggest) these claimed acts of marksmanship are simply impossible for normal humans.
Neverthless despite your beliefs there are multiple officially registered reports (worldwide) of significant distraction or worse being caused by lasers illuminating aircraft, even briefly.

So either

1. You are implying those making the reports on being illuminated by lasers are lying or

2.You are overestimating the level of marksmanship required.

Which is it?

Yesterday people turned on Gouli and tried to bulkly him into silence because (not being an ATPL) he wasn't allowed to have an opinion on a subject which they felt he knew nothing about.
And to be fair it looks their feelings were at least in part correct since Gouli has now said - " I am now much better informed about the decision processes and it makes a lot more sense to me now".

Perhaps its time for those bullies to withdraw their abuse or consider adopting a similar silence on the technical nature of l@ser devices. Who knows, you might actually learn something!
Aiming systems maybe, but don't need any help with the technical side of the Physics, thanks anyway...