PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SYD to KNX
Thread: SYD to KNX
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2016, 07:47
Car RAMROD

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah you can go with zero preparation and hope you don't have any trouble. Or you can take some basics, or take a full kit and be able to get yourself (and maybe someone else) out of trouble, and probably save even more money than compared to getting a remote area tow truck!

Having helped people on the side of the road by either driving past them or answering UHF calls, in remote no phone areas in the middle of the day and night, anywhere from a split hose, out of fuel to even a heart attack, I don't see it as pointless carrying things to help not only yourself but possibly others (like you who don't go prepared).

Personally I'd rather be prepared and not have to wait hours to get a ridiculously expensive tow for something that is easily fixed. Better to have it and not need it I reckon. Each to their own I suppose.

What would you do if you came across a car that had rolled several times, it's the middle of the night, occupants are trapped and injured, there's no phone coverage, it's the only car you've seen for a couple of hours, nearest roadhouse/phone/phone reception is 100km away and an ambulance even further?
If I was 24hrs earlier on a trip one time, like I had planned to be but I stayed an extra day in a nice location, I would have come across exactly that, so it isn't exactly a far-fetched scenario.