PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fairey Firefly at Duxford
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2003, 17:52
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Z256

<<the inquiry will almost certainly be a Royal Navy 'Board of Enquiry', not by the AAIB.>>
Good point - in fact, an RN enquiry was announced yesterday. Presuming its like the RAF, the AAIB assist, and presumably the CAA Airshow lot will get recommendations / assist etc.

BGPM
<<However, if L1 is correct in that the aircraft was manoevuring too close to the ground with insufficient airspeed, is it not incumbent on ATC or the flight safety committee to terminate the display? >>
This is a matter for the enquiry... it was a factor in the second Biggin Hill accident, and highlighted again. Obviously L1 had a far better viewpoint or analysis than the Flt Safety committee... lets leave their viewpoint to the enquiry.

<<I would be very disappointed if these old types were grounded, but in light of recent accidents, perhaps its time to limit the aerobatic manoevures they are permitted to perform. >>
<<another accident of this sort has happened at Duxford>>
In that you've obviously analysed it, the aerobatics you seek to ban are they cause of all these accidents are they? Lets take the BBCs "History of airfield crashes" at Duxford
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/c...re/3061561.stm

Firefly - aerobatic display
L-39 - overran on landing.
T6 Harvard - crashed on takeoff
Me109 - overran on landing
P38 - Aerobatic display

I know this is small snapshot, but the reality is almost certainly similar - the aerobatic displays stick in the mind, but landings / takeoffs / transits claim a fair number also. Your banning aerobatics will only solve part of your percieved "problem", whilst denying the right of the pilots and hundreds of thousands of spectators to enjoy the displays.

Oh and PS - don't go in the sun today - it could be dangerous!

NoD