PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SYD to KNX
Thread: SYD to KNX
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2016, 23:08
Car RAMROD

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Get a UHF radio on the vehicle. They are quite cheap in package deals now and very easy to install. If you get into trouble (that isn't life threatening, that's what the PLB is for and I thoroughly recommend that!) you can possibly make contact with someone who can get you a tow when they have reception. Or you can talk to randoms every now and then and waste some time.

Get some half decent lights, led light bars or hid spotties are cheap on eBay. Avoid driving between dusk till dawn, but in the off chance that you are delayed getting to your next stop and have to drive in the dark, SLOW DOWN (talking not much more than 80, and that's with very, very good lighting!) and you'll be glad you've got the extra lights. Don't be so worried about spotlighting 200-300 or more metres down the road, get some good flood beam to light up the sides. The side is where skippy seems to come from most of the time.

As suggested, replace all your fluids. Most of this is an easy DIY job and I could tell you how to do it in 5 mins. Just remember when it comes to doing diffs and gearboxes etc, make sure you can undo the fill plug first before you pull the drain plug! However when it comes to something a little more important like brakes, I leave that to someone that knows better than me so that the system can be bled properly. Engine oil & filter, diffs, gearbox, transfer case in a 4wd, coolant, all very simple.
Spare fluids for the above items are good too. Enough to get you out of trouble really.

New Air and fuel filter is probably a good idea too.

Spare belts, basic tools. Bottle jacks have a habit of failing, make sure it works. You may need a brick to help lift the car if you have one with raised suspension.

Water and food, as mentioned, big definite to that!

2nd spare wheel and tyre is a good idea. Otherwise definitely a plug repair kit. Air compressor too. Roadhouses don't always have spare tyres or repair facilities.

Petrol and diesel it probably doesn't really matter much these days. Actually with some of the technology and tolerances on modern diesels, I'd almost prefer a petrol! Carry 20l of spare fuel, it's cheap insurance. It could also help somebody else out.

If you are remote and it's a quiet road, if there's a car on the side of the road don't be afraid to ask if they are ok. They could be broken down/sick/injured and you could be the first thing to drive past in the last couple of hours.

It's long and boring between places at times. That gets to you. First 1000km day doesn't seem so bad but add a few together and that could be bad news for you (those who drive for a living are used to it, you won't be).

Enjoy the trip, take your time. Stop at cool places and check it out- you will regret it later if you don't!

Last edited by Car RAMROD; 15th Feb 2016 at 23:23.