PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic flight from London to NY returns after pilot hurt in laser incident
Old 15th Feb 2016, 21:06
G0ULI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wirbelsturm

I do indeed tell my surgeons what course of treatment I want and have been fortunate to be able to select those best suited to my needs. Dentists likewise.

The NHS has specific provisions for anyone to do this if you know how the system works.

I may not care specifically how a package is delivered to me, but I can ensure that I select a delivery company that delivers when I want and where I want. I don't have to sit around at home all day waiting to see if a parcel will arrive.

Likewise other trades.

If I am paying the bill, I get to choose who does the job, how the job is done, with what materials and to what standard. I expect the people I employ to use their professional skills to get the job done safely, efficiently and finished or delivered on time. For me, the system works. I'm in good health for my age, as far as I am concerned, and I have fortunately never been seriously let down by any tradesman. Even my parcels and packages have arrived without any issues. I have never had a "lost" delivery in the mail. Perhaps that is extraordinary, but I regard it as a result of doing my research and picking the best man or service for the task at hand.

I pick my electricity supplier (EDF) because they are heavily invested in nuclear power, which I happen to support. Clearly many people would consider that a ridiculous decision to take considering the consequences of a mishap at a nuclear plant. I just happen to believe that nuclear power is less damaging to the wider environment than other forms of power generation. I may well be wrong about that. Sometimes you just have to go with your feelings.

I pick my airlines based upon their safety record primarily, although Quantas don't operate from all the destinations I would like to fly from and to.

I may not pay anyone's wages directly into their pocket, but I decide what services I use and which companies are getting my money. The very definition of a free market economy.

Once an aircraft leaves the ground, the Captain carries the responsibility for making all decisions that affect the flight. With the exception of the co-pilot, no one has the right to challenge those decisions while the aircraft is aloft. After an incident has happened and been resolved, it is only right to consider if a better course of action could have been pursued. In most cases it will turn out that the Captain made the right choices given the information available to him at that time. This is generally true in most other professions too and can be considered a measure of skill and judgement attained through experience.