PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Designing a very, very large airliner…
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2016, 20:20
medviation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have you seen the Cranfield study of 2010?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ojMUAEj-ho
Thanks for sharing!

I agree that initially, standard seating on the DC-10 and B777 was 2-5-2. But the DC-10 went away, and seating on the B777 has generally changed to 3-3-3 (or 3-4-3, a configuration that I avoid like the plague).

I still believe that despite a huge increase in emergency exit doors, you will still need double-wide aisles in order to have efficient PAX loading and unloading, as well as avoiding complete aisle blockage by service trolleys.
Yeah, that's a personal preference of aviation guys like us. But for most people who just want to fly for cheap, they don't care much if it's a 2-5-2 or 3-3-3 or 3-4-3. At 18in 11-abreast, that's as wide as standard economy gets. If you want more, go for premium econ or business class.

Maybe increased aisle width, yes. But double aisle width is I think overkill. Each deck is about the size of your average B777-300 so I don't see why double-width aisles are necessary. And at 11-abreast (lower and main deck), 26in width each aisle is available.

OFF TOPIC: Doesn't forums have quote buttons so you can show the name of the person you are quoting?