PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fairey Firefly at Duxford
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2003, 17:01
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disagree with a lot of the above posts I'm afraid...

1. Cause of accident. Please await the AAIB report - I'm glad you individuals have already done their job for them. As for too "low & slow" - glad you know the limits the Firefly display works to (please post them here), and what the speed and height was yesterday (again please post here).

2. Stopping Aerobatic displays. Well - why not just ground them - plenty of accidents in these aircraft landing and taking off (don't know how you'll stop that), or transits. In fact why not ban all flying all together - that'll stop aircraft accidents?

Flying these aircraft in air displays gives the paying public, and the pilots concerned much pleasure. The pilots especially know the risks involved, and choose, indeed compete for the seats, to do this. The CAA regulate the airshows to minimise the hazard to the public - as they should - and seem pretty good at it.

Potentially one might reduce the number of accidents at airshows by more regulation e.g. more practices in type. I doubt this would reduce the overall accidents - it would just transfer them away from the airshows - probably would actually increase the overall risk, and definitely the costs.

Flying displays are one of largest public attendance events in the country, and the numbers killed on the flying side are almost certainly less than the public killed in their cars just getting to and from the airshows. Its just that any accident draws a disproportionate degree of publicity...