PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic flight from London to NY returns after pilot hurt in laser incident
Old 15th Feb 2016, 17:59
Dave's brother

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is perhaps worth mentioning that despite l@ser attacks on aircraft being measured in the thousands per year around the globe, not a single crash has resulted as a result of these incidents, nor a single life lost.

That may well be due to the outstanding performance and training of professional aircrew or it may be that the disruption that such incidents cause is in fact over stated.
Gouli, surely you're not saying that, because no one has died yet, laser attacks are not dangerous. Please tell me you're not even suggesting that as a possible argument.

As self loading freight, I may not know much about professional flight operations... [I] question the decision to return to the departure airport rather than landing at the nearest available airport for the pilot to receive urgent medical attention.
Sorry, but I don't think you know much about eyes, either. Given the choice, I'd rather struggle on for an extra few minutes and land at Heathrow to get some world class eyeball doctors - eg at Moorfields Eye Hospital - rather than land at Shannon.

And I'm struggling to square this implied criticism that they didn't land quickly enough with your earlier accusation that they need not have landed early at all. I respectfully suggest you just stop contributing to this thread now because you're only making things worse.

Failing that, try shining a laser in your left ear and see if the light comes out the right.