PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic flight from London to NY returns after pilot hurt in laser incident
Old 15th Feb 2016, 17:34
Capot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO this and clowns with drones are the biggest latent safety threat we face today.
Better stand-by for a monstering; that's what I got when I stated this view and then stuck to it in R&N a little while ago.

I ducked out of the argument when it became apparent it was a waste of time. I think, I hope, I said something along the lines of "OK then, let's wait, shall we, until the first loss of life in an aviation incident or accident caused by a drone, before making selling, owning or operating one a criminal offence". Nothing that has happened since has proved me wrong. We are simply waiting for that loss of life to happen.

Mind you, the first mass casualty event caused by a drone is even more likely to be terrorism-related, whether or not an aircraft is the target.

PS I see that what I actually said, just under a year ago was
What a pity that, as always, we are waiting for the bodies to pile up before acting forcefully to remove a known and obvious hazard. (EG - empty fuel tank ignition.)