PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing Without Papi Or Vasi
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2016, 12:49
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm assuming runway edge lights & threshold light; centreline lights even better. The question was finishing the approach after an NPA flown by autopilot and then manual from minimum. One would trust that at MDA the approach had been flown with accuracy to put you on glide path at MDA, and it was a CDA, not a dive & drive with level segment. If so: when visual disconnect and do very little. Pick the visual touchdown point and keep it fixed in the window. Know your attitude for the required glide angle. V/S = 5 x ground speed +50. As long as it is within +/-100fpm (for a jet) that's OK when visual. Know your power setting. If it was correct, on speed at MDA leave well alone. It is a common human trait to raise the nose & increase power when visual. Don't, if not necessary, but it is an unconscious action. Gentle breaths on the controls, stay relaxed and don't squeeze to death the controls. Short runway; a tendency to flare early & float. Once again, use normal correct flare technique.
If you are visual at low level, then all this DME and arcs & rings stuff is not helpful. You are visual and starting at a correct point in space. Don't over complicate it. KISS.