PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet Scholarship for Women...
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2016, 09:08
FLYINGPERCY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chesty Morgan
What's wrong with having a diverse bunch of males though?!

Why does the flight deck need females?
Kurungi1 - yea feel free.

Chesty - the FD needs diversity full stop. So its a balance. But to answer your question - why females? Each different group of people including females bring different things, so I can learn about new situations without having experienced them and DEVELOP. Having previously worked in an office that basically employs mirror images of themselves, I can honestly say the firm was very one dimensional. Lacked good innovative solutions and I knew how they were to solve a problem without them talking. One day a new, very different person (background/female) came into this very male dominate environment. Suffice to say things changed. Why? she came with a different way of approaching things and dare I say it a more measured approach. We know what a group of guys can be like - one upmanship and pushing the boundaries. The new women in the office altered and importantly highlighted the wrong direction the firm was taking, provided a different way of working and so added massive value. I welcome that to the FD. This is one example. I could used a different person.

Notice my example is not flying related, but very relevant to the FD. Kind of pertinent to this discussion?

Btw-as there's been a bit of thread drift, I'm not convinced about the scholarship, just that it's important to highlight a flying career is an option to all.