PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet Scholarship for Women...
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2016, 06:55
FLYINGPERCY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JumboJet1999
Why. . . . .?
Jumbo - at first glance I was very surprised you asked that, however on hindsight maybe it does need further explanation.

Flying a commercial plane these days is not hard at all, if you work hard during your TR and stay on top of things. However, working in a team and 'commanding' the aircraft is not easy. I argue that iv become a better pilot by watching and learning from other people, different to me. Also they can tell me when iv done something wrong as I may not be aware. The diversity in the FD makes people approach situations differently, question current practises (so looking for better solutions) and of course different people work differently in a team. All these different people I learn from on a daily basis, which make me a better pilot. Does a football team want 11 goalkeepers? Studies show that people from similar backgrounds approach problems in a similar way. Not good if your looking to develop.

Although a valid question to ask why a FD needs diversity, I feel those that question this, miss the essence of flying commercially today and the realities of the global nature of the job. As I said At the start of this post, commercial flying is not hard but the role/responsibilities of an airline pilot can be. Once you grasp this, you've understood why the flight deck needs diversity.