PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fairey Rotodyne.
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2016, 10:30
Upland Goose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gyrodyne XJ 389 was on display outside my ATC Squadron (424) Southampton for many years. Few of us realised the importance of it. We were more interested in English Electric Lightnings in the early 60's !

I am so pleased that XJ389 was preserved, as she was getting tired standing outside.

Many years later, now still flying helicopters, I have reflected on the Rotodyne and realise how innovative and advanced she was. Vibration, plenty in the early stages, which they overcame to the benefit of all of us Rotorheads who followed. Noisy yes, at the time, but they were working on that. Politics was one area that Fairey could not overcome - so RIP Rotodyne.

For those of you who still have an appetite for the aircraft, I can recommend the book 'Fairey Rotodyne' by David Gibbings and there is some lovely, cheesy, but enjoyable stuff, on Youtube. Enjoy !

ShyTorque is an advocate I know - we spent many a leg in the S76 yarning about the Rotodyne - but then he was a QHI and QFI. That's hedging your bets for the future