PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet Scholarship for Women...
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2016, 20:48
FLYINGPERCY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I completely agree with the increase in targeted publicity, so more women are aware that a flying career is an option for them, should they want it.

The flight deck needs diversity, and that should filter through the airline. You learn so much from people and the greater variety in the FD, the better for everyone. This therefore should include all people from every background e.g. Gender, race, social background.

However, if after all The PR, women are still not applying in large numbers, could it possibly be that they are not attracted to the job? It's a curious profession and certainly does not appeal to many people, when they know the realities of the profession.

I'm not sure how many women discount a career in the FD, because they can't pay the training fees... I imagine it's the same number as the rest of the groups so not sure that this initiative is necessarily best placed to 'attract' women to aviation. As an aside, more financial help should be given to everyone on a 'tagged scheme'.

Maybe more flexible rosters, more support/clarity for people should they wish to start a family, highlighting it's not a 'male job', highlighting more women pilots in senior flight operations roles might be better initiatives?