PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA ATP Command Type Rated First Officer logging PIC Time. Yes or No?
Old 13th Feb 2016, 17:38
B2N2

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
For our 2-pilot crew part 121 flights, I do not, nor do I know ANYBODY who would EVER log PIC while acting as SIC. The only benefit you will get from logging "sole manipulator" PIC time in airline flying is a little bit of petty ego gratification while looking at an inflated number in your logbook. Any major airline interviewer who finds that half of your 737 or 767 F/O time was logged in the "PIC" column will not be comparably impressed. The "sole manipulator" rule is legitimately applied while flying empty legs in a Part 91 corporate type environment, or logging PIC while receiving dual instruction for your ATP or CFI certificate (since the CFI is likely also logging, and acting as, PIC).
As far as the highlighted bit, no you can't.
A lot of Regional "Airlines" (121) do not provide a 'full' PIC type rating to their SIC/FO's so they can not legally log PIC as PF.
As a holder of a PIC Type rating I am already PIC qualified just not acting PIC.
When I am performing the duties of SIC I log SIC time and when I am the pilot flying I log they PIC time. This is also how the company logs my time.

Try interpreting the rules instead of going by "tribal Law".
Fact that nobody in your company does this doesn't make it correct.

So for future reference....my total PIC time includes PF time.
If they specify 'signed for the airplane time' then I deduct whatever PIC time I had before a line check for upgrade.
It's all legal..I used to teach this sh!t you know.