PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow S76 Ditched in Nigeria today Feb 3 2016
Old 13th Feb 2016, 12:22
helimutt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What ever happened, I was not there. No one would land in the open ocean lightly, there has to be a good reason. After 41 years of flying offshore for various companies, I can tell you that Bristow is as good as it gets. Let's find the reason and move on. We have all been in situations where we landed with a whole lot of less fuel then we intended. S**t happens.
bh412tt, im not so sure thats accurate. only those who poorly planned their flight and necessary fuel requirements, would end up in that situation. I have only once in my life seen me land with 1 gal fuel showing on a guage (r22) and no I wasnt comfortable and made it known. A long time ago. CPL flight test. And the examiner kept telling me it was fine, he just wanted to do one more thing. I was quite vocal and then demanded we return to dispersal. Landed with fuel light on and I was p*ssed off. I fully expected to fail my test but I didnt, but not before I got told it was his discretion etc etc. The guy was a pr*ck as far as I was concerned.

Anyway, I think you need to reword your statement "we have all landed with a whole lot less fuel than we intended" because 99.999% of all pilots i've flown with have been totally professional and we've never been in that situation. Sorry to p&ss on your parade.

Makes you wonder about the standards of some pilots if thats your take after 41 years offshore.