PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hospital bombed in the Afghan city of Kunduz.
Old 13th Feb 2016, 11:29
deptrai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hadn't heard anything about an inquiry into this yet...edit: I just did a quick search, there was a statement, "avoidable human error", compounded by "process failures" and "equipment malfunctioning". Unsurprisingly, lots of holes in the cheese.http://edition.cnn.com/2015/11/25/po...ders-hospital/ Yet I was just thinking, maybe it doesn't matter what the public gets to know. The U.S. has likely compensated families of the deceased, and the most important is that they get closure. Hopefully, some lessons were learned, which is equally important. Some career hopes may have been dented, that is the least important (sadly, I have a feeling that will be true for "those who didn't follow RoE", RoE which may have been carefully worded to avert blame from those who created them..).

My reason for suddenly posting in this old thread was that I stumbled across this article, a journalist doing his job, researching a story about a man who died on an operating table, his bicycle, and his mourning daughter. Somewhat disturbing, when it gets personal. The Man on the Operating Table | Foreign Policy

This may be a faint hope, but I do hope decision-makers think twice about what they're doing in Syria. I'm still struggling to see the rationale for NATO involvement in Afghanistan, and struggling see what it actually achieved, and if the costs were justified (tax money as well as human cost). Then again, maybe I'm too impatient, expecting to see instant results.

Last edited by deptrai; 13th Feb 2016 at 11:47.