PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fairey Firefly at Duxford
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2003, 04:35
Zlin526

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cubby, you're not a journalist are you?

It is a simple fact that these historic aircraft do not fly many hours per year and consiquently nor do their pilots.
It does not matter how good you are or how many hours you have got, a low number of hours on type, plus airshow style aerobatics plus pressure on your slot, will inevitablely lead to aircraft crashing and people dying.
How do we know that any of these factors were involved? And WTF is "pressure on your slot"?

These aircraft are old and when they were built they were not designed to last simply because the ministry new that they would have percentage losses to enemy action and to landing accidents and training losses.
The aircraft had just completed a thorough rebuild and could be considered 'as new'

Sorry for my aggressive post, but I spent all day at Duxford yesterday, and spoke with the Pilot & Pax in the call of duty. I very much get hacked off when an incident like this happens and people who obviously know very little about display flying feel a great need to insert their 2 pennyworth. By all means post something relevant, but please dont post a complete load of b@ll@cks

My sincere condolences to both Pilot and pax's families & friends. Let's not get embroiled in a speculation contest, just await the facts.. A very, very sad day for all concerned.

Rant over

Last edited by Zlin526; 13th Jul 2003 at 04:59.