PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Death of the Airshow?
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2016, 13:13
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Widger
you could say the UK has been very lucky in the last 63 years.
You could, because luck plays some part however small in most things, but I wouldn't say it.

That impressive statistic has been achieved against a background of the UK having a very large number of airshows. I understand, but cannot confirm, that we have more air displays every year than the whole of the rest of Europe combined.

Accidents sometimes happen. That, in my view, is inevitable although every reasonable measure should be taken to minimise the risk. However, when I was involved in the air display world (warbirds), safety was taken seriously.
eg I was present at a meeting of the Historic Aircraft Association in or about 1984 when the then Chairman, John Allison, proposed adopting a voluntary system for approval and supervision of display pilots. I wasn't persuaded by his arguments at the time, partly because I was strongly opposed to and irritated by one aspect of the proposal, but it was carried by an overwhelming majority. I readily concede that he was right and believe that much of the original voluntary code was later adopted and developed by the CAA.

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 12th Feb 2016 at 13:47.