PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - lightning mate
Thread: lightning mate
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2016, 11:57
chevvron

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts
I only know rough details of the Buccaneer vs German police helicopter. I understand he was low level following an autobahn and saw the heli head on, pulled something like 8g avoiding it and the Bucc tailplane parted company. He had just started his second tour at Farnborough at the time and when I saw him next he had a slight mark on his face as the only evidence.
I flew with him on 24 Oct '79. I'd looked at the flying programme for that day and went in search of him and when I found him, asked if he had a passenger for his Hunter trip next day. 'No but I bet I have now' was his reply! Typical Terry.
We did some aeros and I did some poling around, then we did a 1 in 1 into Boscombe.
As my first name is also Terry, we got on well together. He sometimes filled in for OC Flying and one morning at briefing, I reported some ruts I had found during airfield inspection on an area of grass used by helicopters called the 'LALA' (Light aircraft landing area).
He then stood up and said 'right chaps, I don't want to see any of you rutting on the LALA'!