PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow S76 Ditched in Nigeria today Feb 3 2016
Old 12th Feb 2016, 11:36
TIMTS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Nigeria posts or not, the guys that I know who are still in Nigeria after the purge had this to say: First thought was a fuel issue. Then they were told "autopilot deviation", then they were told what happened and not to spread it.
To me that doesn't sound like something airframe related, but more human factors. If they ran the thing out of fuel I'm not sure what the excuse would be. Piss poor planning, lack of situational awareness, no checklist use, no fuel planning on the Garmin...or maybe even the dreaded commercial pressure we hear so much about but that of course doesn't actually exist in a Target Zero environment.
If they had "autopilot deviation" and got un-commanded roll or pitch inputs one could be more understanding in light of the August accident. Maybe having this fresh in their minds clouded their judgement and pushed aircraft knowledge to a second rung below survival instinct.

I think what angers a lot of us expats who were there fairly recently, or are still there, is the feeling that this being a national crew it will be covered up, and the flight crew probably given some award and promoted to the 92. The fact that the media, of course hilariously unprofessional, has declared the female captain a hero, and alluding that had she been flying instead of Jay back in August the outcome would have been different is also pissing off quite a few.
But, this being Nigeria, these concerns can't be voiced without one being called racist, or being berated by the likes of Keke for being the evil backstabbing white guys. The fact that these concerns aren't born out of racism, but rather (in my case) almost a decade of working in Nigeria is obviously invalid.
And for the record, the most racist people I have ever met are the Nigerians themselves...(and no..not all of them)