PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2016, 16:32
FlyVeryHigh-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont think its a case of jealously, all the time that is anyway.

I'll give my 2 cents. I've spent years wanting to get into training, and of course wanting to get to the rhs. I've sat around watching the price increase year on year (for CTC and the 2 others anyway). I couldn't afford self-sponsored.

I'm not jealous of anyone who wants to go self sponsored, thats their choice, and indeed their risk (because there is a risk involved). Not having the money at my disposal or not having it even within my reach means that I saved hard and took every opportunity to get it (or try getting it). I worked hard for years and therefore i'm very careful with the money earnt, and therefore any risk no matter how small is amplified, ideally I want 100% guarantee i'm going to get that rhs because ultimately I dont want to spend the fruits of my years of hard work to ultimately end up in the same position 18 months down the line.

I think we need to put jealousy in 1 category, but we need to put those who arent risk takers and those who are extremely cautious into another category.

Back when I was 18 I would have did anything to get on to a course like CTC wings, and that would have included a £100k hand-out from my parents secured on their mortgage. I would have been so excited to be taking the course that my vision would have been clouded by the thoughts of sitting in the rhs at the controls of an a320.

Now I wouldnt be so sure, purely just because of the risk factor involved; it doesn't make me jealous, it makes me cautious. There are some comments on here from previous cadets who haven't had a good experience. You could give me 5 negative reviews of CTC out of 100 and i'd be focusing on those 5 because its a risk and I want to mitigate that as much as possible.