PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A321 explosion at Mogadishu
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2016, 10:18
dakota_bandit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the thing that is interesting, is that the laptops were passed in the VIP area, this area is tightly controlled by the government and is only for use by those on government business. You just can't pay $100 and use it ;-)

The other thing not reported is that it was military grade explosives that were used. This throws open a whole new scenario, now it could be said that Al Shabab or ISIS have access to such stuff, due to their recent successes at attacking AMISOM bases, however, they haven't claimed responsibility and my personal feeling is that they wouldn't attack the airport for reasons I wont go into.

The next day two people were arrested for trying to sneak onto another flight, again this attack hasn't been claimed either. again it was mil grade explosives used.

Airside security at MGQ leaves a lot to be desired, flightline badges are controlled by SCAMA and they have tried to cut down on who has one, but in my opinion, and as anyone who has been to MGQ knows, if you have money, it talks.