PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RRP (Flying) Review
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2016, 06:15
Bob Viking

Received 553 Likes on 151 Posts
ALM

I felt bad for you that nobody else had responded yet. So, to save your sanity I can confirm that I have also heard the 6 year rumour. Whilst it will not affect me I feel that, if true, it is a bloody ridiculous plan.

Firstly, you may find the situation, for example, where a guy/gal can be a Typhoon QWI at the end of their second tour before they see any form of flying pay. Effectively putting someone who has had to be at the top of their game, pass a myriad of demanding courses and potentially act as the tactical lead for an RAF FJ Sqn as it deploys to war, all for the same pay as the Stn Adj. Who, by the way, will probably already be a Sqn Ldr after his far shorter trade training and much more time to work on his career broadening staff work.

Secondly how exactly do the RAF expect to retain any quality personnel if you pay them peanuts? There used to be the pension trap, bridging package and the spectre of a pay drop upon leaving the service to a civilian flying job (which is unpalatable particularly to those with kids). Now there will be absolutely nothing to keep a guy in beyond his 6 year return of service. If the powers that be think that the hefty jump of a whole extra £4000 per year (pre-tax) that flying pay will bring will retain people then I suggest we send the CDT team to wherever they work.

However, despite all I have said please bear in mind this is NOT a cost-cutting exercise.

BV