PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Designing a very, very large airliner…
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2016, 21:02
NSEU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't engineers use that time to inspect whatever they need to inspect?
Having operated a cherry picker myself (as part of my engineering duties), I can assure you you're going to increase the inspection/top up time by a factor of 10. I can check the oils and do "front and back" inspections on a 747 in the time it takes for me to put on a safety harness and park one cherry picker at the aircraft. The presence of 2 or more cherry pickers around an aircraft would also interfere with cargo loading.

And no airline is going to wear the costs of 2 cherry pickers per aircraft (I think we only had one or two for the entire fleet at our main base).

(EDIT: Beancounters are also continually telling us that "time on the ground" is wasted. Surely the ultimate goal would be to have shorter transit times. Additional time spent on routine servicing means less time for working on non-routine problems)

I don't see the Antonov 225 having problems with it. As well as many other aircraft.
Point taken. I wonder if the main gear elements are identical on the Antonov or if there are additional reinforcements for the rear gear. The 747 wing gear does seem more robust than the wing gear. The 777 is not really a valid argument. The bogey tilt accommodates the pitch angle.

Last edited by NSEU; 11th Feb 2016 at 00:03.