PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Contaminated fuel
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2016, 18:33
TheOddOne

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE]You should always take a sample from the hose nozzle before allowing fuel to be added to the aircraft. The plastic sampler that you use for the preflight water check is fine for this.
QUOTE]

Well, I must say I've never been asked for this when I've been re-fuelling aircraft. I would imagine it's quite hard to get a small enough sample from the nozzle for it not to get spilt all over the place. What do you do with the subsequent sample? I NEVER put a sample from the preflight check back in the tank - I treat it as contaminated. I find some concrete and let it run out so that I can watch it evaporate. If it doesn't, then it was pure water - it can still smell like AVGAS and have a faint blue tinge to it. With our rig, we could always put it back through the filtration system.

What I ALWAYS do when re-fuelling other people's aircraft is to ask three questions - what grade of fuel do you want, which tank do you want it in and what quantity do you want in each tank? We once had a French registered C182 arrive and I'm glad I asked as it was a diesel, not immediately apparent at first glance.

TOO