PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2016, 15:55
KenV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ken, Israel's IAI has been given a contract to provide L-M more than 800 sets of outer-wings for the F-35As.
I'm aware of that.

The deal is an offset agreement by the US DoD enticing Israel to buy F-35s and it worked.
I'm aware of that too. In any event IAF seems to be very enthusiastic about their F-35's. I personally doubt IAF's enthusiasm is only because they have Israeli made outer wings. You're welcome to disagree. And on a related note, IAF and the Israeli defense ministry has expended a LOT of political capital to get DoD and LM to agree to allow IAF to make changes that they've not allowed to anyone else, including their UK partner that enjoys a "special relationship" with the US.

I don't believe there are "special" outer-wings for the F-35Is.
It depends on how one interprets the statement that the EW equipment unique to the F-35I "will use specific apertures... in the lower fuselage and leading edge of the F-35I." Are the "specific apertures" unique to the F-35I, or is it just the equipment that uses those "specific apertures" unique to the F-35I? I don't know. But usually, to get any kind of decent performance, the antenna/aperture needs to be specifically tuned/designed for the EW equipment that will use it. Generic antennas may work OK for comm equipment who's frequencies and waveforms are known, well defined, and seldom change, but EW equipment is usually a very different matter. But who knows? Maybe the ELBIT folks can perform some kind of engineering hocus pocus and use generic antennas for their very unique EW equipment.