PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2016, 15:42
MSOCS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trump! Don't make me laugh. Many a prospective (and current) President's promise has been deferred, bluffed and broken to their electorate after getting into office and seeing how the government actually works. He's a figurehead and one voice amongst many. Sure he has a final say but I'll bet the farm that Trump's been given partial (and certainly not impartial) advice, because it fits with the general media malaise of hating this jet. That malaise is difficult to counter at the REL ALL level but I have conceded many times - and it is my opinion - that the cost issues are an embarrassment to the US acquisition side of the house. There was a time when I believed it to be out of control but my opinion is those dark days are behind. We are now, of course, where we are. We either pay an almost double cost per aircraft over original predictions or walk away. The latter now doesn't, and will never, make sense. The time to do that was 10 years ago. Anyway...

Once Trump's been shown the wider puzzle and how F-35 pieces fit into it, both domestically and internationally, he won't be so quick to 'Fire!' F-35. Again, that's my opinion. He patently hasn't been given the facts. He's just saying this stuff to pander to the masses of confused and disaffected 'Jane and John Q. Taxpayers' alike. Good for him! He's saying what many want to hear to get what he wants, but many don't know why F-35 is important. Not just for the USA but the potential coalition as a whole. Let's not forget that Trump is a shrewd and ruthless businessman.

Corbyn says he'll get rid of Trident if elected PM. In a similar fashion, he won't. He can't even convince his own party of the benefit to do so.

I hope Bloomberg enters and rescues this farce soon.