PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Twin locator approaches
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2000, 20:15
sprucegoose

Yes well... the situation we had was thus in the simulator. We were tasked with flying a RWY16 twin locator/DME at Melbourne. My partner during his crack at it elected to put both ADF's to the second beacon along track after passing the first beacon at the IAF. I raised the question in the debrief if that was acceptable for a twin loc. approach. After all it is a TWIN locator approach. I pontificated at length about how I was taught to fly that type of approach and the theory involved. The instructor agreed that he had also been taught that way but there was no reference in any manual, regulation or other wise that listed minimun nav aid requirements for said procedure. Indeed the theory book I refered to was written by an ex Ansett pilot and my method of execution ( based on this theory text ) was simply one persons technique and not necessarily the only way. I just want some reference to this type of approach that says or implies that both beacons must be servicable and or used for tracking.

Thanks for the feedback thus far. Incidently its a prick of a way to get a big jet down to earth!

[This message has been edited by sprucegoose (edited 24 September 2000).]