PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A321 explosion at Mogadishu
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2016, 10:14
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CityofFlight
So what side of safety are the stuffy pilots going to pontificate now on?

It seems there are plenty of opinions claiming USA/TSA security is annoyingly unnecessary. How does that compare to the breeches happening tarmac side in the rest of the Americas, Europe, Africa, ME &'Asia? Having your choices into countries of risk, whether on the origin or destination end, describe your preferred security measures ?

I'd welcome what works and the retort from others why it doesn't. We'll never have a perfect world. Our jobs are to keep pax, cargo and ourselves safe. Inconvenience to employees is not factored into this strategy. It just is a way of life. So, in light of tarmac breeches happening around continents, what security is worth sticking to?
Or as it was put by the Roman Juvenal a couple of millennia ago
Who watches the watchmen?

So this has been a problem for a long time. At some point you have to trust someone and that trust can be misplaced. For example, a regime where crossing into airside is controlled has to trust that a pilot will not give a bootful of left rudder at a critical moment, so as the pilot is trusted not do that, confiscating his 6ml pot of yoghurt is a little foolish. Slightly different level for flight attendants but not much. Why should TSA be allowed to cross back and forth groundside to airside all the time without search - they could be split groundside crew and airside crew, etc etc.

As with all security it is people security that is always the weak point and is the most difficult to enforce as who watches the watchmen?