PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC2 2100 3 Feb 16 - WWIII Inside the War Room
Old 9th Feb 2016, 17:51
JG54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Falcon900: Having checked both my syntax and the crazy - o -meter (TM), no, I don't believe I'm suggesting that at all.

As for Churchill's (heavily selective / edited?) war diaries, well, I'm sure they make for an interesting and insightful read, an' all, but as to being 'policy' rather than consequence? Hmm. I'm pretty sure there wasn't much practical impetus for an invasion of Europe until 1./ US troops had some real, current combat experience, mano e mano mit Fritz (see North Africa) & 2/. Flat bottomed landing craft - a -plenty were on hand (see also Dieppe).

What was it he said about history being written by the victors, & him being one of the historians?

I'm also fairly sure that Putin's interests lie wherever the hell he decides they lie on any given day / mood / whim.

To me, it seems prudent to hedge one's bets against all possible threats, nuclear or otherwise and nation - state or otherwise. Trident (and the boats), over the lifetime of the system is not so expensive at all (proportionately) - it's a trap constructed by those who wish to manipulate your opinion just so. Personally, I'm a firm advocate of strength in all areas military - conventional and non - conventional.

Best,

Frank

Last edited by JG54; 9th Feb 2016 at 18:03. Reason: Edity - bitz