PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Checks when calling 'stable' on final approach
Old 9th Feb 2016, 15:17
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hours are not a factor.
You are quite right BizJetJock, hours are not everything. I too have seen 10,000 hour pilots do a less than admirable job of things and I've seen 200 hour pilots who should be sitting to my left. But my experience says those are the outliers with the average pilot actually having a normal head on their body (as far as normal goes for pilots).

My point is that there is no textbook substitute for experience. The average 5,000 hour pilot will have a clearer head than the average 200 hour pilot.

I'm not saying that I don't find value in the theory of stabilized approach. I do. Reading Piltdown Man's post, I am firmly in his "sect." But its the march towards having a call for everything to cover the possibility of below average skill that I have an issue with.

I look at this like the requirement that everyone wears a safety vest and 21 cones are placed around an aircraft on the ground. Just the other day I was walking across the apron, wearing all the safety equipment the airport authority requires of me and yet I was almost run over by a tug coming from behind me.

My question, therefore, is what good are these safety requirements and extra standard calls if they seem to block good judgement and rationale thought?