PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Airlander". Here we go again
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2016, 14:09
Genghis the Engineer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
I've been watching the project for a while, know a few people inside the company, and have studied a bit of airship design and flight testing over the years.

On the whole, I think that it might just succeed.

Not because it's especially new and exciting - although the more aggressive use of aerodynamic (as opposed to hydrostatic) lift is mildly innovative, and the hull structure is quite clever. Not because it has a very good team - I think that it probably does in many areas, but so have previous projects.

No, I think it might succeed because they've got the mission right. They're not trying to lift heavy cargo payloads - which is a daft thing to do with lighter-than-air. Not because it'll carry fare-paying passengers reliably - it won't.

They're designing it as a slow, long-loiter, electronic payload platform. That in my opinion is a viable use of an airship: not unlike the WW1 and WW2 use of airships for hunting submarines. Modern microelectronics make it more possible than ever before.

Historical precedent says that it has a good chance of failing. But, so far as I can see, the thing does actually have a very good chance of succeeding, because they're designing and marketing it for a viable mission that it can deliver on.

On the whole, I think that it's got as good a chance of success as any airshop project ever has, and I really hope that they do.

G