PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Woodford original buildings?
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2016, 22:24
David1954

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blast from the past

I stumbled across this thread and this forum quite by chance.

I had the privilege of being a member of what I recall being known as the AVRO Woodford Gliding Club between 1974 and 1977. At that time the hangar housed the club's fleet of gliders: a T21, a Swallow, a Ka 7 and a Skylark 3b. The Skylark spent most of the year in its trailer down at Shobdon, but even so it was all a bit of a squeeze. The club's retrieve/tow vehicle (a SHORT wheelbase landrover) was also garaged in the hangar. The building to the right was the clubhouse, which was also used in winter as the place in which the annual fettles were performed. At one point there was a "vintage" German glider (complete with "dolly" undercarriage) in the hangar as well, but that belonged to one of the instructors, and I cannot be certain as to what it was - obviously there is no trace of it in my log book - but I think it might have been a Minimoa.

I had absolutely no idea that the fabric of the buildings had such a historic background.

I read of the demise of Woodford airfield some while ago and I was saddened about it at the time. As time passes and Google (bless them) bring ever more obscure bits of history to my attention, I continue to be amazed by the role that Woodford has played in the history of UK aviation. It was, for example, the base from which an Avro 525 set out on a unique out and return to the top of Helvellyn in 1926.