PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FEAST oversight - Local or centralized in Eurocontrol?
Old 8th Feb 2016, 13:45
mcstiofan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Thanks sheepless, I appreciate the info, but I'm fully familiar with what goes on

My question had to do with testing oversight, rather than the testing itself. As may have been mentioned once or twice before in the past(the archives would have it), the ATC business in the former YU republics has been ridden with corruption for quite some time now. Ultimately it all comes down to who's your mother, father, uncle, brother...

Over the past few years, there's been more and more talk, that EUROCONTROL had in some or other way "fully taken over the testing", and that in order to get in, it was no longer enough simply knowing someone on the inside. Supposedly, everyone now had to truly pass FEAST and other tests.

Even though no one really believed this, there really wasn't much of an evidence to disprove the concept, except knowing that class after class, year after year, completions of new controller hirings were being advertised, yet there still weren't any public offerings for those jobs.

It was only in the very recent past that some comments on here, on a few similar discussion boards and some TV material, indicated that much like everyone suspected, there indeed was no "global" oversight by EUROCONTROL and that every ANSP can pretty much do as they please.