PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2016, 12:27
Pittsextra

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
You haven't been paying attention. Both the DT and the AAIB are saying the manoeuvre was started from 200 feet agl. That does not need clarifying. The "too low" comments came from people who weren't even there who don't understand that it is possible to enter an aerobatic manoeuvre from one altitude and exit at a higher one through energy management - something fast jet pilots here will fully understand.

So, again, the manoeuvre was started from 200 feet and, all other factors aside*, it is perfectly possible to complete the manoeuvre safely from there.

* By which I mean no mechanical or physiological issues.
Hang on I'm sorry so the figure was started at 200ft and all prior talk of others about pitch angle, video, lens and perspective is irrelevant?

Look I'm not making an issue with the ability to do X, Y and Z from one height to exit at another but I'm asking what the numbers should have been and where do they come from?

Its perfectly possible to complete safely because its in the plan, its been practiced and agreed with those with oversight on the day?

Sorry to drag this on and on but its important detail isn't it? If it was agreed, practiced and in the plan doesn't someone party to that information owe it to everyone with a care about aviation to clarify that point? If nothing else it looks like we had a plan.

Edited to answer Dave Unwin above:- I do not have fast jet aerobatic experience and happy to believe you and half a hundred other people saying "they are not the same". Yet what has any of that got to do with the questions I've asked? I didn't grant his DA, which as I'm led to believe from the AAIB document has two heights 100ft and 500ft for different events. I assume those numbers were in some way intelligently assigned - unless they weren't??.

I'm just surprised given the time between today and the negative headlines that have hit the pilot and aviation in general that if everything done was totally cool and in the plan, nobody has supported this view. You don't think from your professional view its worth a phone call to the CAA or BADA and ask the question "what do you think of that Telegraph headline?"....