PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does anyone have anything positive to say about EK?
Old 8th Feb 2016, 08:28
alwayzinit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In short, No.
I take absolutely no pleasure in the pronouncement at all but from my seat, lhs 777, that is the case.
I was hoping to make EK my final airline before hanging up my wings. It still may be but only in the sense that EK has destroyed my enthusiasm for a career I loved.
The work patterns and hours flown mean EK are operating in an area of the unknown. No other long haul operator flies its crews so much and minimizes recovery time.
We used to get 4 days off after a ULR trip, we needed it then, we do now, but only get 2 off now.
The OM-A states that the Company will avoid the 18-30 hr rest period whenever possible, yet all our European layovers are 24 hrs+/-, even when there are multiple aircraft to the destination each day.
Salary has not come even close to keeping pace with local inflation which makes life far less fun all round.
To add to this many of us have been forced to relocate into undeveloped desert suburbs, living cheek by jowl with our company colleagues. Many not being able to choose in which "hutch" we must reside.
The option to move out from Company accom is there but not without digging deep into an already stretched salary to get something half decent.
The 9th floor regime has taken what was without doubt the best expat job in the region and possibly the world, and nickel and dimed it, so that now the experience level, in hours. on the flight decks has halved, and is getting lower by the day as those at the top decide QOL and a frugal retirement is preferable to dying early.
For youngsters who want to come, come and see if you don't believe what you read on Pprune, but have an out before you do.