PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job Prospects in Oceania in next 4-8 Years
Old 8th Feb 2016, 05:44
framer

Received 480 Likes on 129 Posts
I would pick
Option b, I think I would rather spend 2-12 hours with someone who is interesting and has a story to tell, rather than a sop regurgitating clone, because basically, after enough years, anyone can fly a plane.
Yeah I like sharing GA stories with new f/o's in the cruise when I'm getting to know them but that isn't what someone who wants the job cares about. They need to be thinking about who is going to give them that job.....the recruitment team. About one in twenty never check to line, of those most don't make it to line training. That is a real pain for both the candidate who has given up a paid job and spent six weeks doing a type rating with all the cost that entails, ( being away from family, often paying for their own accomodation) and the company who often foots the bill for some of it as well. So the people who will ultimately decide if you fly a jet or remain in a lower salary band run a risk assessment on the likelihood of you getting through the training. With the GA guy there is less 'valid data' for them to bank on as the check reports are often sparse and by people they don't know. The cadet has an advantage here as they appear 'low risk' and normally are if they have sailed through all their checks with no issues.
In the airline world, you'll be just fine if you have a good attitude and meet the standard.
I would add ' and the mental capacity to transition from your last aircraft type to your next aircraft type.' Some don't, and that's why you get the odd failure during the first couple of months, it's not because they don't put in the work or take it seriously.
I'd pick option A if you had a substandard training and checking system.
I agree, and that appears to be the case with all but one of our Australasian jet operators. You get x number of sims then a check, fail the check and you're on a chop ride. That is what our young guys and girls are dealing with.
I am not saying that option A is better, just that it makes you an easier choice for a recruitment team because they don't feel like they are rolling the dice quite as much.