PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MyTravelite expansion to LGW and MAN
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2003, 10:01
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They are certainly creating a competitor to GB Airways out of LGW. I am not sure what GB's current prices are to TFS but they are not dissimilar to that (maybe a bit more expensive but I am not sure). Just back from TFS myself and GB A320s have 156 seats with the 321s having 185. I believe MyLite have a significantly smaller seat pitch to give 185 on a 320 which is a lot of people in a small space! Four hours-plus of that added to no food will be misery and DVT thrown in with the fare, but some people will do anything to save a couple of quid!

Edit by NSF: Just checked the BA website and you can get a return to TFS from end of September onwards for £90 incl taxes. Who on earth is going to take MyLite with no food in cramped conditions for £100 when you can travel with BA (GB Airways being the franchise operating the route) with all the frills for less? The low cost myth is slowly but surely coming to an end. The best low-cost airline in the UK is BA.

Incidentally this is a real departure for the low-costers. Historically they do not go for long routes because they cannot get all their benefits of quick turn-rounds etc to be of any real value. I cannot imagine anyone having the choice of a much more comfortable flight at broadly the same price choosing a 'low-cost' airline for such a long journey. Low cost is great for an hour or so, but anything more is untenable - particulary when you can go cheaper with BA!

Murcia is also another GB route out of LGW. GB is a pretty efficient operation and although competition is getting stiffer every day, they are pretty confident of fighting it out with the best of them.

Let battle commence!

Last edited by Norman Stanley Fletcher; 12th Jul 2003 at 10:14.