PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hullavington airfield
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2016, 20:07
Lima Juliet

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts
Proone

Not so, old fruit...

Triumph may be a stolidly British brand, but it’s a global company. While Hinkley remains the base of operations, Triumph has constructed three manufacturing facilities in the Chonburi Province of Thailand. The first factory produces chassis components like frames and swingarms, as well as fuel tanks. The second fabricates plastic parts and bodywork via injection molds. It also houses an assembly line, with Triumph moving maturing model lines overseas for final assembly (currently its Thai factory assembles the 865 Twins, as well as the 675 and 1050 Triples). The third Thai facility casts most of the engine parts, including cases, cylinder heads, crankshafts and camshafts. All told more than 50% of a completed motorcycle is fabricated completely in house.
The Hinckley factory's work is mostly design and assembly of motorcycle parts made in Thailand. Also, the new super factory in India is expected to manufacture 10 TIMES the production of Hinckley/Thailand put together.

I think there is an old boy that puts the gold-leaf stripe on Bonneville tanks by hand at the Hinckley factory.

Anyway, I agree 'reshoring' is good and who knows, this might be what is planned for Hullavington? Maybe the Govt are saving this good news for a 'rainy day'?

LJ

PS. My Hinckley designed Bonnie that was built in Thailand was still of far better quality than my Meriden produced oli-leaking Bonnie from 1972!!!